20140830

Drugstore Starter Kit #1: The Basics

This is the first of a 3-part series on where to start with drugstore/high street makeup. I was going to do it all in one post but wasn't sure what to include or how much experience to assume. So this is Part 1, all about getting the basics down :) you can check out Part 2 here.


It's best to start with a Light Base, the Sleek CC Cream (£8.99, review here) is inexpensive and really good at correcting redness, especially good if you have teenage skin. Although the colour isn't right for me, I can see why the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer (£4.19) has such a following. It works really well on blemishes and blends nicely, so it's a great Concealer for beginners. Translucent ones can be pretty hard to work with, so if you're only just starting out, try a Coverage Face Powder. I like the Sleek Luminous Pressed Powder (£6.99), as it doesn't go cakey at all.

It's easiest to start off with Single Eyeshadows, and the Maybelline Colour Tattoos (£4.99 each) are perfect for this. You can apply them with your finger, they look good on their own and they'll stay in place all day. I have the shades Permanent Taupe and On and On Bronze. For Eyeliner, I know most people start with a pencil, but I'm really not a fan! I think the NYX Super Skinny Eye Marker (£7.50, review here) is just as easy to work with (you apply it just like a pen) and the results are much better. For me, the best drugstore Mascara I've tried is the Revlon Photo Ready 3D Volume (£10.99, though currently in a 2 for £10 at Boots!), however it is on the pricey side. If you don't want to spend so much, Maybelline do really good mascaras so try one of the Volume Express ones.

To add colour to your cheeks, you probably want to go with Powder Blusher to start with. I love the Sleek Blush By 3 palettes (swatches here), and I think Lace (£9.99, review here) is lovely. The colours are not as scary as they look! But you have a pink-toned one, an orange and a shimmer, so you can work out what's best for you. 

If you want to start filling in your eyebrows, most people start with a Brow Pencil. I think you just have to be really careful to use a light hand and not go overboard. I'd recommend the Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil (£2.99, not pictured).

As for Lip Colour, you'll probably want to start with something quite subtle. I really like the Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balms (£2.99 each) for a moisturising hint of colour. I have the shades Cherry Me and Peach Kiss. Or, if you want to go for something a little more noticeable, I'd say the Revlon Colourburst Lip Butters (£7.99 each, review here). They come in more colours and some are more like lipsticks, whereas some are more like coloured lip balms. I have the shades Pink Truffle (halfway between a lip balm and a lipstick), Sugar Plum (more sheer) and Red Velvet (with a more intense colour). 

If you want to start using proper brushes (not the ones that come in the palettes!) then the Glow 12-Piece Set (£6.25, review here) has everything you need! I know it's from Amazon, but you won't find something like this for such a low price on the high street and it's perfect for brush beginners.

Stay tuned for Part 2, where we'll be looking at full coverage foundation and eyeshadow palettes :)

Jasmine x 
Share:

4 comments

  1. Amazing! That Sleek palette looks so, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleek blushes are lovely, and they have some amazing shades!
    xprincessjas | x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice for those who have never worn make-up before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of pretty makeup - I love Sleek palettes.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I read and appreciate every single one :)

There's no need to spam - I will check out your blog if you leave a click-able link under a genuine comment!

If you have a question please check back for my reply or tweet me @jasminetalksblg

xx

© Jasmine Talks Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig