20141009

What I've Been Reading #2: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I was really unsure whether to go ahead with this post, as it's so different to what I usually write about. But, at the end of the day I'm a girl who studied Philosophy and Theology, works in insurance, loves writing, listens to hip-hop and has an obsession with MAC Lipsticks...I'm not really someone who fits into one category, so why should my blog?

I hope you enjoy reading something a little different from me and seeing a side to me you may not have realised I had!


(Image via: http://list.christopherwink.com)

I'm sure a lot of you will have read some of the YA Dystopian novels that are everywhere right now, but if you'd like to read one of the classics of the genre, I'd really recommend Fahrenheit 451. If you couldn't make it past the first page of Brave New World, this will also be for you! 



I don't want to spoil too much but it's about a fireman called Montag, except in the future firemen don't put out fires; they start them. Books are outlawed and Montag spends his days burning down the homes of those who resist. But one day he impulsively steals one of the books he was sent to burn and things get very interesting...

It's actually a really quick read. I'd say you could finish it in a day if you were on holiday and on the beach for most of it. It's not difficult to read and Bradbury writes so vividly; he never uses cliches but you immediately understand everything he describes. There aren't that many characters and you see everything through Montag's eyes so the story follows quite a simple narrative arc, despite it seeming his world is more complex than this.



It was a strange book to get into just because in Montag's world everyone is shallow, disconnected and lack any sort of curiosity or critical thinking. Montag's own wife spends more time with her  virtual 'TV family' than with him. It's like looking at the world through carnival mirrors as whilst there are echoes of our society, it's hard to relate to any of the characters until something clicks with Montag.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and it wasn't a difficult read at all; I'd recommend it especially for people who want to read one of the classic dystopian novels but find 1984 & co a little intimidating!


Share:

4 comments

  1. I love the sound of this! I need a new book to take on holiday with me, so it might just be this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this recently enough myself and really enjoyed it. It really reminded me of 1984, both dystopian and both something that could scarily just about happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved 1984 too! I've never actually come across anyone else who's read Fahrenheit, but I agree it's an eerily accurate prediction...

      Delete

Thank you for your comment - I read and appreciate every single one :)

There's no need to spam - I will check out your blog if you leave a click-able link under a genuine comment!

If you have a question please check back for my reply or tweet me @jasminetalksblg

xx

© Jasmine Talks Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig